Making sure every dollar countsIn each of the villages that we are helping, we sign formal agreements with the village management committees, who help evaluate the materials needed for each home, allocate subsidies to each family accordingly, and ensure building standards are adhered to. Donations raised after deducting the expenses go to the reconstruction project and cost-effective procurement of construction materials. Our full-time onsite project manager works closely with the village management committees to make sure all our goals are achieved.
Ensuring accountability of the projectTo ensure the best outcome possible, SCMP Homes for Hope manages as a distinct entity under SCMP Charities Limited, a unit of The SCMP Group, and oversee by an experienced and capable steering committee. Local support and administration is provided by the respected Kuok Foundation.
Our current committee members include:
- Dr. Sir David Li, chairman and chief executive of The Bank of East Asia, Limited and acting as chairman of the committee
- Mr. Allan Zeman, chairman of Lan Kwai Fong Concepts Holdings Ltd & Ocean Park
- Dr. David Pang, SCMP non-executive chairman and former chief executive officer of the Airport Authority
- Mrs. Fanny Law, former Permanent Secretary for Education and member of the National People's Congress
- Ms. Hui Kuok, managing director and chief executive officer, SCMP Group Limited
- Mr. Valiant Cheung, former partner at KPMG